Thursday 8 September 2011

Small Copper


Since the weather’s been so grim over the past few days I have no new photos to show… This morning I managed to get the decking and walls powerwashed; just hoping now that I’ll be able to seal/paint tomorrow or over the weekend.

These are old photos, but a while ago the Small Copper finally arrived, although I do hope they appear again before Summer is definitely over.

I was glad to see the Sea Holly attracting yet another visitor




So of course I had to stalk it and it was surprisingly friendly and I had no problems getting really close on a number of occasions.












Copyright 2011 Liz.
All rights reserved. Content created by Liz for Gwirrel’s Garden.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just lovely! Wonderful photographs. Never seen one up close and personal.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

What a charming and curious copper. I can't believe how close you got! Butterflies are my camera's nemesis! More often than not I end up tripping over my own feet, or tumbling down the hill trying to photograph them. I did have some success today though, and will try to post them tomorrow, but nothing as impressive as your photos!

Liz said...

Hi Petra,

They're probably the prettiest of the Butterflies so far when close to, most others begin to look somewhat scary when you get really close but this Small Copper still managed to look cute/pretty.

Liz said...

Hi Clare,

This one did let me get very close, and didn't seem to flinch at all. Normally I'd have to move very carefully but with this small Copper I was able to move around quite freely.
I look forward to your butterfly photos, I am sure they're beautiful :)

Janet said...

The close-ups are exquisite, Liz. We don't get coppers up here (as far as I know but I may be wrong) I too often find myself frustrated by butterflies moving off before I can get a good shot. It's very inconsiderate of them!

Kyna said...

Your camera makes me jealous. And a little turned on.

You get some amazing shots!

(I know you hear that a lot, but no one ever says, 'Please, stop telling me I'm awesome. I just can't hear it one more time!')

Liz said...

Hi Janet,

I just wish the birds and other wildlife would hang around for me too like the insects do! :)

Although it's no bad thing being able to get close to insects and arachnids, it would be nice to be able to get birds and such too!

Nutty Gnome said...

Haha - you've obviously got WAAAY too much time on your hands now your dissertation has been handed in! :D
(I'm only jealous!)

Landbohaven said...

Gode billeder.
Tak for kigget.

Esther Montgomery said...

It's very butterfly-y round here still.

The second photo from the end is fascinating.

Amy said...

Well, he is kinda cute close up.