Friday 12 December 2008

Gwirrel's Garden - Literally



Since this blog is supposed to be about my garden perhaps it’s time I actually posted something about it??

Let’s have a look at its progression from April to August – haven’t taken any photos more recently, perhaps I should?? Hmmm, not that there’s anything to see anymore since most plants have died away.

First we have April:







Onto May and things are beginning to flower






And onto July










As you can see a great deal hasn’t really changed, but it’s a start and as the plants mature I’m sure things will get better. I plan on extending some of the flower beds and such to allow for more, but these are the more long term plans.

I have a lovely book for planting natural gardens, as I want a garden for wildlife but also something that’s romantic and dreamy. So lots of soft flowing grasses, fluffy seed heads and such. Oooh it’s so exciting.

5 comments:

Tricia Ryder said...

It's really interesting waiting for a garden to mature - but, based on what you've photographed already, yours will be great Liz :)

Liz said...

Thanks Tricia, it's going to take a long time to get there, especially since I have big plans for it. One of the main things is to have far less grass (although is it very nice to sit on grass in the summer!

I still have problems knowing exactly how large the plants will get, and I suspect this is something which comes with experience.

And as with most other things in life, I have priorities so some things may take a while to come and I may do the front garden first - plan on pulling up the turf and putting down gravel/sleet/stepping stones. The front only has a small area of grass and carrying the mower round just to push it back and forth 10 times seems so annoying :D

Liz said...

Sleet = slate, whoopsie!

Christina Langman said...

Your yard and garden are gorgeous! It must be so inspiring to look out at this every day. :) I'm a little jealous. As a wildlife artist I'm always curious to see other people's photography and nature that surrounds them. Thanks for sharing!

Christina Langman
www.BigCatArt.com

Liz said...

Thank you Christina, my yard/garden still has a long way to go until I'm happy with it, but hopefully in 5 years I'll be well on my way to being happy with it.

At the moment it's somewhat uninspiring - I need more winter plants, but in Spring/Summer I'm rarely ever in the house because I love it so much. I had a venture out at the weekend and this evening, getting a feel for it again and looking forward for the plants blooming - Crocus, Bluebells and Iris are already on their way, it won't be long before they're greeting me with their wonderful colours :)