Monday 4 May 2009

Wisteria



It’s been another busy weekend for me in the garden, with Sunday spent pretty much completely outside and I seem to have caught the sun on my face as there were high winds the real temperature was somewhat misleading… Oh well, at least it’s just a ‘healthy glow’.

I extended some of the flower bed and planted some of the waiting plants – Sea Holly, Hollyhock, Gaura, and Foxglove. There’s still a few to go yet, with more of the above as well as Verbena, Yarrow, Mallow, Cornflower, Scabious, and more! It’s hard work pulling up turf, digging the ground over, adding in compost and horticultural grit to help break up the clay and work the ground so it’s better quality. Especially when you find large areas of orange/yellow clay, stones, pebbles, bricks and bits of wood??!! Quite obviously the previous owners when landscaping the garden didn’t have a clue what they were doing because this is the case pretty much everywhere in the garden. I don’t understand how she can claim to love gardening??!

On Saturday we had a trip to B&Q to pick up some pebbles and such for the garden, I also came across a ‘new’ type of Wisteria that only grows to 3m! So obviously I had to snap it up even if it was extortionately priced! I’ve wanted a wisteria for so long, and always had to avoid them because even the new fence couldn’t cope with something 9m tall but this American Wisteria sounds perfect, has beautiful flowers/perfume. Now we just need to get some wire trellising put up for that, the Clematis and Winter flowering Jasmine to clamber up – also planning on a climbing rose.

Plenty of work to do and lots of money needed… Hmmm.

Wisteria

6 comments:

ShySongbird said...

You have been busy Liz! I think it is always so satisfying to plant a batch of new plants. I too have always wanted a Wisteria but couldn't have one due to the height so guess where I'm going in the next few days! Oooh I'm all excited now, thanks for telling! Lovely macro shots too.

Cheryl said...

Hi Liz.....I have had the same problem with soil. Mine is heavy clay to and full of rubbish....its hard work but I am sure you will get there in the end.......

Wisteria is a beautiful plant......I inherited one whip when I moved here....it was lying across the drive.....now it covers three arches.....amazing......

Beautiful photography.....

Liz said...

Jan- There's always so much to do, I'm trying to stick to just growing my own seedlings now though because I need to save up money to do a master's... It's just a shame when I come across a Wisteria then that all goes down the drain! [:

It shouldn't be too difficult to stick to it from now on though because I do tend to stick to perennials so as the garden matures it won't all seem so bare!

Liz said...

Cheryl,

Exactly, it's going to take a good few years before the soil is at the quality needed, but most of the plants seem to love it at least!

I can't wait until this Wisteria is nice and mature like yours, I need to get it planted rather quickly otherwise I'll completely miss its show!

Miranda Bell said...

Hi Liz - just discovered your blog through Cheryl's - I love your photos of the Wisteria - so delicate... going to anything with plants for me is worse than visiting the sweet shop as a child!! Will visit again - Miranda

Liz said...

Hi Miranda, very nice to meet you!

I'm thrilled you decided to have a peek at my blog and I hope to see you around much more :)

I completely understand what you mean with plants being like sweets. I just cannot walk past them without looking! I'm obsessed, you just never know what you're going to find though! Like the Wisteria, I've been on the hunt for Gaura, which in the B&Q catalogue they supposedly sell,so there are always exceptions where I just 'have' to get the plant hahahaaha